View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016, 02:07 AM
Apprentice

Rakthi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ScaleART - Assembling a MAN TGX/XL 6x6 tractor & Trailer

Just moved all my stuff out of storage back into the guest kitchen. Just hope I still know which container holds what.

While not able to do much on the truck been thinking on how to make a support bracket for the air tanks with my limited tools.

Figured it would be better to make it in 2 separate parts. One L shaped bit that bolts on to the frame that will allow the part holding the air tanks to bolt to it. This approach will give a bit more flexibility in the distance the tanks have from the fuel tank/front fender by using spacers.

First problem is to get an accurate position of the 4 bolt holes in the frame.

I came up with the following solution that I tried out with some scrap pieces.

Cut a piece of plastic so it fits in the frame.

Clamp in place and carefully drill the 4 holes

Clamp this to a piece of brass plate and use the holes in the plastic as a guide

As you can see it kind of worked ... just have to be able to fix it better so it can't move about during the drilling.

So that is what is on the program for the moment. Will see how far I get with this approach. Don't really want to get "stuck" on this for too long either.

Mean while the 2 missing bits of the rear suspension arrived too ... of course the self same day I put everything in temporary storage.