View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 05:41 PM

JonBailey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: No Stock R/C Kenworths

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadder View Post
This rc part of the hobby is not lame ....I'm thinking your new to this side of it ...there is nothing out there stock that resembles anything that we have on north American roads or even over seas for that matter what make this a challenge aside from say rc aircraft is most of the parts in the semi truck and even more so in the construction end of it are all custom made use you imagination and get out that hack saw or milling machine and start cutting up broad way it's the only way to make it your own we all have different skill levels of creating something from nothing just kit bash the **** out of a stock tamiya king hauler. ..I did and now I have a mack granite heavy haul and at the moment making a hiab crane for it and let me tell ya I thought rc aircraft were expensive I had know idea.....this is a totally different game
Is the RC model industry, the commercial manufacturers of kits and parts, appealing to the American market even? Wouldn't most American RC scale modelers want quality scale model kits of full-size classic American vehicles on the road? I have no machining, welding or even painting skills. I still hate sloppy cosmetic workmanship. I will pay 300-500 dollars for a good paint job on a scale model done by a competent model painter.

It would be relatively cheap and easy for an RC model kit manufacturer to just cast all the scale Kenworth cab parts in plastic molds the way Testors, Revell and Monogram does. There are lots of static Kenworth assembled die-cast/plastic models out there as well as assembled plastic boxed kits on runners.

That there are so many Euro scale models and so few American ones suggests there is low American interest in scale RC trucks, period.
Is our current economy bad for this hobby in general?

I just emailed Tamiya begging for a Kenworth W900 kit.

Last edited by JonBailey; 02-11-2016 at 05:43 PM.