View Single Post
Old 04-16-2021, 07:25 PM

dremu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1:10ish scratch forklift

Axles are epoxy tubing from my local plastic shop, with threaded rod down the center. I think the threaded rod would have been okay, but the trailer is so wide I was worried about bending. The epoxy tubing definitely stiffens the axles. The wheels then ride on brass tube bushings and have a nylock nut each side to keep them in place with just enough play to spin freely.

The wheels are printed, on the two-headed printer, so the black lugs are actually printed as part of the wheel. There's just enough resolution to get a hex base and a round cylinder to look like studs.

The hitch is more Chinesium -- again, too cheap to bother making, plus even though it's pot metal it's stronger than printed. The hitch is height adjustable for my various trucks (see the two bolts sticking out, though there's actually like eight holes.)

Yes, that's a trailer tongue jack at the center; it's threaded rod with printed foot and lever. The handle is a separate printed piece that spins on a bolt, makes it easy to use.

The tool box is also printed. Here I prolly coulda bought pre-made diamond plate, as printing it in scale is ... well, you can see it there. It's representative, not accurate. But you look at it and say yes, that's a trailer box.

So the reason the suspension is so wide-track, and can't be interleaved, is that the forklift needs a ramp. That was the whole point of this build.

The ramp extends like 2/3 the length of the trailer, so it takes up a ton of space underneath. Since the forklift is three-wheeled, I couldn't just two narrow ramps ; it needs a full-width ramp.

The ramp slides underneath the trailer bed on more angle iron

and then two little aluminum handles hold it in place so it doesn't slide backward. Not likely, given its weight and that my trucks don't actually pull at crazy speed, but still.