Thread: tig welding
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 06:01 AM

BiLLy bOb is on a distinguished road
Default tig welding

Ok, some of yall know i'm getting ready to move to Philippines from a few other forums we share. I believe I have sold my hobart 190 mig and generator so I have been on the prowel the last week for a replacement that is 220v/50hz, not 60hz like american stuff. I had been checking Filipino classified adds and researching some austrailian and italian welders. The other evening, I was looking through the local craigslist tools in search of a few odds and ends i'd like to have to throw in my crate to ship. For the life of me, I have no idea why, I opened a add for a Miller ac/dc inverter style, 165 dimension series tig welder for sale CHEEP. almost too good to be true cheep. So at 1am I send them a email after verifying that it is capable of operating on 220v/50hz. Finally about 4am saturday morning I turned the computer off and called it a nite. Saturday morning (daylight now), we swapped a few more emails and we were off to look at a almost NEW miller tig. Ended up getting it. I've never used a tig in my life before saturday. After a few minutes (literally 15 minutes of practice) i am already laying down a pretty decent aluminum bead with very nice penetration. That sealed the deal, bougth it. Stainless steel was a lot easier than the ally. I was hooked. Needless to say, I paid the gentlemen and headed over to my welding shop. I explained that I have never in my life used one before now, they knew that I'm moving overseas and getting consumables might well be sketchy, so we hashed it over and here is what i got to get me started as far as having some beginner supplies.

Came with Millers book, TIG WELDING FOR DUMMIES ((think they named it for me))
2%thor tungsten for torch
pure tungsten for torch
170s-2 rods 5lbs
14043 rods 5lbs
spare nozzle
set of *tig fingers* ((after my bud showed/explained them to me, i knew i would enjoy the benifits))

Anything other than the above come to mind to you tig guys that i should have 1 of *just in case*? Millers are available over there but, what, how much, or how long to order it are all unknowns.

I have been watching vids and reading in what free time i have at weldingtipsandtricks.com, does anybody have any tips or tricks that will give me a leg up once i get my stuff unpacked and set up in 6 weeks? websites to read up at?
already learned before i even bought it, you do not grind the tungston torch tip in circular motion, you grind from the end to end. does it make a difference if you start at tip or butt end? if so, can you explain why it is((just my curious nature)).... any inexpensive or free downloadable reading material to suggest? going to have a 30+ hour trip, plenty of time to read.

Thanks in advance.
Louie