View Single Post
Old 10-27-2017, 12:12 PM

scottyk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First Tamiya truck build, MACK Dump truck 6x6

For the detail hungry guys, if you look close the picture of the cast aluminum tipper bottom sitting next to its pattern you can see the amount of shrinkage that occurs with casting! its is very noticeable in a casting this long, but it also important with the wheels. I had many experiments in scaling and revisions to accurately cast the drive hex and bearing bores. I know it would be easy enough to machine the bearing bores but with the accuracy of investment casting you shouldnt HAVE to and I can now push the bearing in by hand with a good fit into the cast hole with minimal hand finishing. but I think I have a great model to use now and can start really knocking out some wheels!

I have ordered a automated 3d print smoothing machine in a attempt to get a better surface finish. So hopefully soon I will have more updates for you guys with better parts, and assembled wheels on the truck.

As for the tipper, I have some engineering to do on that guy, it is a heavy box! I am going to remake the patterns for thinner walls and probably shorter walls altogether because I feel this would make the truck top heavy the way it is. but for now I will finish this heavy box and figure out a tipping mechanism probably similar to RCP's setup with a threaded rod on the box.