Thread: Steamer
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Green Horn

Jared is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Steamer

Transfer! Transfer! I vote for transfer, but I'm biased because I like pulling them. My old boss was telling me when he was in Finland he saw transfers that had a jaw clutch arrangement to drive the transfer chain. One half was on the back of the truck and the other half on the front of the trailer so when the truck backed up to the trailer, the jaws meshed and the driver could transfer without getting out of the truck. All he had to do was get out to unhook and hook up, and I can't remember for sure but there might have even been an automatic release for the air and electric lines and the hitch so the driver only had to get out to hook up.
But whatever you do I can tell it's gonna turn out good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Ok, next question, how to make the tailgate work on the transfer box, when it's in the truck?
The 1:1's I've pulled had a stirrup that hung off the front side of the tub tailgate latch that the open truck tailgate latch slips into when the tub is transferred into the truck. When the truck latch is closed, it pushes down on the stirrup which opens the tub latch. Hopefully that makes sense.

Last edited by Jared; 03-20-2011 at 11:52 AM.