View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 12:32 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation
Thumbs up Re: Hydraulic oil for models - what's in it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhhstix View Post
I work for a CAT dealer and we have a rental store as well and if I had to guess 90% of the equipment we have CAT included uses 10WT hyd oil thicker oils will make hyd systems sluggish and build up excessive heat thinner less dense oil will dissipate heat quicker.
Heavier hydraulic oils don't build up excessive heat, they absorb heat, which why they're better to use in warmer climate than lighter hydraulic oil.

Lighter oil heats up quickly and if it gets too hot, the oil will scorch itself & the components it propelling... that's if the cooling system is pushed beyond it's capabilities.

I just caught up with the retired gent that used to own/operate the locate Esso depot, he knows his petrolium products... hydraul 50 is 10W and hydraul 56 is 30W.

I spoke to a few other ppl at Case/New Holland as to why heavier oils are better and their response was vague, they pretty much use what the manufacture warranties...

I knew the hydrostat in my 9060 combine uses 10w hyd oil and I was shocked to find out that the bypass psi for the system is set at 6100psi! ... so much for my original thought that light oil was better suited to low pressure/high flow.

As far as these minature hydraulic systems are concerned, what weight oil a modeller would use depends on the climate and cooling system implemented within the model.

Freddy's heat sink & fan within his excav model helped immensely to control the temperature of oil, as well as it's viscosity from getting to thin while he was running his model in 90° sunshine.

I myself don't need a cooling system of any kind b/c I'm in 65° shade.

It was your comment Travis that "heavier oils build up heat" that sparked my attention and question the accuracy of that statement... I learned some other interesting things about oils & equipment along the way too.