View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Green Horn

Heavy Metal is on a distinguished road
Default Tires and Wheels for Tractor

More on my JD 710J project (is it really a project yet?). This is the part that really has me stuck. I think once I solve this I can get this project moving. I really want tires and wheels of correct scale height, width, rim size and tread pattern and made of nice soft grippy rubber.

I have accumulated maybe a dozen different tires and wheels from die cast, RC monster trucks and crawlers, etc. for this project and nothing is quite right. Either the rubber is hard like plastic or one of the measurements were not quite right (like, diameter perfect but way too wide).

At this point I'm not worried so much about the wheels - if push comes to shove I can turn these myself on my old 7x10 mini lathe or I believe there are one or two on this forum that might be interested in doing on a fee basis. It seems to me the tricky part is the tires. In my files from a couple years ago when I started this I found correpondence back and forth with a German manufacturer who would create rubber tires for RC trucks and tractors to custom spec. That company actually referred me back to PMD for order placement from the U.S. but I never followed through because the costs for two different custom sized tires would have been $500 or $600 total (additional tires were $20 each). This RC model is going to have cost a couple thousand or more upon completion so I'm not opposed to going this route if I have to (assuming it is still and option) but saving $600 would certainly be nice.

Here are the scale specs for the front and rear wheels and tires I am trying to locate:
Front:
Tire Outside Diameter: 2.71"" (69mm)
Tire Width: 1.07" (27mm)
Rim Diameter: 1.43" (36mm)
Rear:
Tire Outside Diameter: 4.14"" (105mm)
Tire Width: 1.5" (38mm)
Rim Diameter: 2" (51mm)

Any suggestions to help me find these would be greatly appreciated. I would be happy with +/- 1/4" (6mm) on any of these measurements. Posting the JD 710J picture yet again to show tread pattern and rim style I'm looking for.

Regards,

Joe.