View Single Post
Old 12-31-2014, 07:00 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kenworth 850 Off Highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvjimd View Post
Reg,

I just stumbled onto the slide show video, wow!

I am trying to get started on the truck chassis under my NyLint dragline. I know with all your skill and experience this will be hard to answer but what did you use for plans or design ideas as you built the logging truck?

Could you say something about the drive train? I saw one picture that looked like an off the shelf gear going into the diff but is it a solid axel or a live diff?

What sort of mill are you using for this sort of stuff? I purchased a 10" lathe a few weeks back and of course now I realize I ALSO need a mill!

Thanks for the inspiration, now if I can keep away that overwhelming feeling I get when I think about working on my stuff.

Jim
Thanks Jim. I actually get some enjoyment out of watching that video myself. It reminds me of how much work it really was but also the processes involved to make each part. I didn't go by any plans to build it. I took a ton of pictures of the real trucks along with some measurements of critical parts. From there I just tried my best to make the model look like the real thing where I could. The rear ends were built using HPI Savage diff gears. I used the older style that don't have the drive cup attached and then made my own axle shafts to fit the side gears. Both diffs are open. The drive motor is from an 18v drill. I have a BF30 mill with a SINO DRO. Having a DRO is awesome for someone like me that doesn't know anything about machining. It's kinda like having the answers for a test you haven't studied for! Don't let yourself get overwhelmed! You will do fine, all you need is confidence because you already have talent! I am just about to start scratch building a pair of Rockwell 4640 diffs for a Hayes truck. I may need to read my own words of encouragement there to keep from giving up on them!lol The biggest problem for me will be trying to make 2 that are the same....

Reg