View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 03:38 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation
Default Re: how many guys actually drive truck on here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamweaver View Post
I've driven OTR for 26 years, in fact I'm sitting in my truck right now...

I have also been an instructor at a driving school. I know this industry inside and out and currently...

I can tell you with no experience your only hope to get into trucking without school would be to know someone with a truck and their own authority or be lucky enough to find someone desperate that's willing to fudge some paperwork. The government says new drivers going to school have to have a minimum of 160 hours of to get their CDL, HOWEVER... they do not require schooling. Anyone 21 or over (18 in most states for Intrastate only) that can pass the written and skills tests can have a CDL. The problem arises with the Insurance companies. With the exception of self insured large companies like CR England, Swift, Central and a few others that have their own schools, most all other companies that will hire drivers with no experience are required to only hire drivers that have graduated from Accredited driving schools.

Here is the important part... "Accredited Driving School". The companies listed above and all the others that have their own driving schools are NOT accredited and until you have one years driving experience with them no one else will accept their driving school. That's not to say going to one of those companies is out of the question, just go into it realizing that no matter what line of BS they will tell you, their school means nothing to anyone but them. The advantage to going to a place like that is that you usually don't have to pay for the schooling if you stay for at least 6 months to a year. The disadvantage besides that of what I just spoke, is that they often pay you less in order to "Repay" them for your schooling.

Your average Accredited school in the US will cost you around $4000.00 to $6000.00 and last 3-4 weeks but after that providing your driving record is good and you have no DUI,DWI, weapons charges, or drug charges on your record. Going this route your options for jobs is GREATLY increased, most companies these days do hire student drivers.

Next you need to be aware that all companies, driving schools, ect. will make this job out to be the best thing since sliced bread. They will tell you you can make 65-70K your first year, and that you will get to see the country and go places you always wanted to go... BULL S!@#... You will be closer to 30-35k for you first few years and unless/until you fall into that right job, you'll be hard pressed to make much more than that. Specially with the way the hours of service rules are these days. I have been doing this basically non stop for 26 years, and up till I got the job I have now the most I ever made was $37000.00. Obviously that can be more depending on the job and the area you run.

As for seeing the country, well that's not a total lie. You will se quite a bit of it as you pass it by at 65. I do know some drivers that take the time to call a cab or rent a car and go see things from time to time. But remember the pay thing I talked about. Well you don't get that much if you don't keep the door closed and the wheels turning. Plain and simple, truck drivers are paid by the mile so you need to drive miles to get paid.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Mike J
That's the straight skinny of what it's all about. Great explanation Mike.

Joe