View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 777 HAUL TRUCK (1/12 size)

This is such a cool build to watch, and you are making incredible progress! I'm glad you got some larger photos up. I like your drivetrain and that steering system is pretty cool. I hadn't seen that style servo rack on servocity before. Those guys are constantly coming up with lots of new products. Genius idea on limiting the rear suspension travel, with those new arms and the set screw stops too.

I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to offer a suggestion for your steering knuckle drag links are set up. I've tried an identical system just like that before and I found that you can't get the proper ackerman geometry with it. The inside (of the turn) tire should turn in sharper than the outside. It makes a huge difference in steering. Right now, yours is the opposite. On a heavy truck like this, you might notice an improvement even more so than smaller models. It will 'plow' less in the turns.

It looks you could pretty easily fix the geometry, if you wanted, without changing anything but the way your drag links are bolted to the center steering arm. You just need to swap the right and left side drag links, where they mount to the center arm, with each other. Obviously you can't do that without interference, unless you bolt one drag link on the top of the arm to the top of the steering knuckle, and one on the lower side of both the arm and the knuckle. Picture worth a thousand words....

I don't know if you have the room for changing the drag links to one under, one over, but if you do, give it a shot, and then take your truck for another drive to check how much better it steers. Like I said, I've been there, tried that! Just wanted to share my experiences. I hope you don't mind me suggesting this, and my intention is not to offend you. I can't wait to see this truck all finished up!