View Single Post
Old 04-08-2015, 06:56 PM
Wannabe

JDH429 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Days you wished you never got out of bed..

So before my thread goes to page 2 in this category, I think its time to give it a bump with another quick story or two In the day of the life of dump truck driver.

Hauling the hot rock in and out of the Asphalt yard on night shift was some of the greatest entertainment you could get while collecting a paycheck. Lots to see and lots of idiots on the road at night...Some were other truck drivers, yes. The arguing and **** talking on the radio between brokers was always funny too.

Waiting to get loaded..

waiting to get unloaded...

Me getting back to the shop in the evening after a long day..Its Corona Time..Or something like that.

So one day im rolling out of the plant with a load of black stuff, heading to the paver..Im coming around the corner before leaving the yard and coming up on the RR tracks which you need to cross to get in and out ( no crossing lights here) and see this...

Engine that gave out the *** whoopin

I wonder if you get a ticket for parking on the tracks?

So the story ended up being that this was this guys first day and on his first round coming back to get his second load, and didnt look as he crossed the tracks...Whats crazier is a few montsh later another truck got hit here again...wonder if there still isnt a crossing light there?

A few weeks later Im on my last load of the night, Its 430 am. Im heading out to the zone to unload and head home from there when the car in front of me comes to a hault on the freeway in this narrow pass (this is part of the section we were working on)..Its foggy and the road is at a low spot right here..Somebody forgot to strap down their jetski and lost it right here..I think if i remember, a few cars hit the **** thing and I was like just a handful of cars back from going through myself and blasting that thing...So the road closed down, and i sat there for 4 hrs with a load of asphalt in the box..Needless to say by the time the road opened back up and i made it back to the yard I was a bit worried id have a 25 ton cube of hard asphalt in
the box...Luckily it came right out..Thank god for the old diesel presoak, it saved me that night ( we would use a weed sprayer to presoak the box with diesel so the asphalt would not stick).