View Single Post
Old 06-12-2016, 04:42 AM
Apprentice

Rakthi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ScaleART - Assembling a MAN TGX/XL 6x6 tractor & Trailer

Been a while with an update ...partly because I've been without computer for 10 days but mostly because lack of time.

So after a 2 week wait the new servo for the rear diffs arrived. I filed off one of the attachment points and installed it. Hooked up the cables and found out out the servo isn't strong enough to lock both diffs and I ended up frying the servo. Totally my (stupid) error that.

So ordered new servos again and decided that I would either only be able to lock one rear axle or I have to get one servo for each axle ...

Took a good look at the frame and figured that just possibly I could manage to tuck the extra servo reasonably unobtrusive in the frame.

In the servo kit from an 6x6 or 8x8 kipper I ordered extra, there was also this part:

Which (with a bit of filing and cutting) would just be able to fit in this area next to the transfer case.

To be able to attach it, some holes in the frame would need to be enlarged to fit M2 screws. This turned out to be more complicated than it sounds because I couldn't remove that one screw of the four that hold on the exhaust ...

Thanks to Dremel, flexible attachments, strong language and a repaint of the fuel tank ...

The primer in the above pic looks bad because it started raining just after I painted it and in the rush to get it inside I dropped the piece.

So after sanding, a new coat of primer and the final coats of red, I installed it.
Mounted one of the non-operational servos to see how it would look. (This servo would lock the 2nd rear axle)

Will need to make a red cover for the servo, but that should be something that isn't too difficult (we hope)

Also might have to do something about the run of the bowden cable of the first rear axle as they cross one another

So now we have to wait for the replacement servos to arrive. After a lot of searching, I also succeeded in locating a couple of the Robbe FS 70 MG servos that ScaleART used to supply. Will see if those are less temperamental.

I could go ahead and start the electronics compartment, but I rather wait until I have the servos so I can get the wires to run cleanly to the front. Something that will become less easy with the electronics compartment installed.

So we wait again ...