View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 05:37 PM

scottyk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First Tamiya truck build, MACK Dump truck 6x6

Little update with the dump truck. I ended up purchasing a RCP dump bed for the old Mack. This cast bed is just plain TOO HEAVY and the weight is up high making it a losing battle. The long thin cross sections coupled with thick sections would create a difficult scenario to cast consistently. AND since I probably only make 1 or 2 of these things I decided it wasnt worth the time and effort re-tooling the patterns, to just buy Reg's product and be done with it. He has a awesome product and I already have it installed and working, what a great piece it is! thank you Reg.

I have made a little progress with the wheel castings, fueled by my motivation with completing the rest of the truck, I have a new batch sprued up and ready for the casting process, I plan on using silicone broze for the wheel centers to add weight down low, paint the centers, and using aluminum for the outside portion of the wheel so I can polish it like the real truck wheels.

I will try and get some updated pictures added to the forum, it is now painted and working!