View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Dreamweaver will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Unit Cable Hoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallHaul View Post
Thanks Dean

I bought the rods at harbor freight and they are called Alumarod. Clean the aluminum with a wire brush and heat the aluminum up to over 750 degress and touch the rod to the hot aluminum and it flows on just like solder on a brass.

There are a couple of negatives though that I experienced when soldering aluminum. The Alumarod flows almost to thin and it flows down hill easily and pools. Also if you are brazing a very small item and you need to attach multiple pieces, every single piece must be secured to the main object until the heat dissipates from the entire object or it will fall apart. If I want to solder teeth on the front of the the bucket now I have to clamp the whole assembly so it doesn't fall apart or shift while heating it up. Now that I know this I would use metal pins to assemble the entire bucket and just solder the whole thing in one shot.
It was funny...the first time I used the rod I had the bucket clamped perfectly and had all of the joints soldered very cleanly and I went to flip the whole thing over to solder the bottom and when I picked it up the whole thing fell completely apart! DOH!!!! now I have a big mess! I had to clean up all the contact areas again and start over. So, the next time I soldered everything from the top and let it cool down and then flipped it over and heated it back up again to solder the bottom.

I was impressed with how well it works though. I would like to have a rectangular stick (the long beam the bucket attaches to) on the hoe and I might use the Alumarod to solder two U channel pieces together to make it.

Cool thanks Scott.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike "DREAMWEAVER" Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11

Rims and Tanks by ihbuilder / Grill and Visor by Brian in PA / Mirrors, Front and Rear Bumper, Back of Cab Lights, and Steering Arms by tc1cat / Fenders by Stylin n Profilin / Frame Rails by The Late Freddy Gear Drive