View Single Post
Old 03-07-2016, 05:04 AM

Machfab is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 90 ton 1/14 metal excavator scratch build w/embedded PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteinHDan View Post
Hi Machfab!

> Will the gamepad/pc controller give you proportional control of the gearmotors or just on/off control?

The gamepad gives full proportional control for all the gear motors, including the track motors. I'm using the front analog triggers for the track motors, and I use the two front buttons to reverse the track directions. The swing, boom, stick and bucket controls are on the two joysticks and equal to running a normal excavator (ISO-mode).

This particular gamepad (the Logitech F710) doesn't stand back in sensitivity or accuracy in control from any of my normal RC transmitters. But most cheaper gamepads have less accurate analog control and also a larger deadspace in the middle / neutral position.

I would say the pros and cons VS a normal RC transmitter:
- Pros: Smaller, cheaper, 2 analog joysticks, 2 analog triggers, 1 digital four-directional pad and 10 digital buttons
- Cons: Short range (10m), no telemetry

Machfab, are you by any chance affiliated with http://machfabengineering.co.uk/ ? I just asking, because it would be interesting to get a quote on how much it would cost to get all the aluminum parts cut at a professional shop. I'd buy a set myself if someone could make it (depending on the price of course).

Best regards,
Stein :-)
No, not them. Just own a machine shop here in the US.
Also a user of Fusion360
Plan to do this build. Very nice! Thanks