View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 12:05 PM
Green Horn

WhiteWolf McBride is on a distinguished road
Default Re: styrene glue application question

No Dice...

I tried that, and the issue is the MEK in the glue eats the rubber plunger of the syringe. One good 'whiff' of the solvent, the plunger swells/melts, and you loose anything thats in the syringe at the time. As they say, been there, tried it, survived to get the tee-shirt.

I've thought ot the 'gas-sampling' ones on eBay, but they were all US-based, and I don't trust it not to be seized at Customs.

Notes:

- any-old needle will NOT do, you need at least 27 guage or smaller. Anything larger, and capillary action won't hold the glue in, and it leaks.

- don't DIY with an eye-dropper and fine tubing, as MEK eats most epoxies, including JB-Weld, and CA as well - my first attempt came-apart in the bottle.

Bottom line - don't be a cheap-*ss and just buy the ~right~ tool for the job. I know, I'm not one to be saying that, but in this case, I've not found any cheaper alternative than the T'n'F.

PS: If you already own one, and are prone to getting clogs, take the T'n'F tool to a music store, and get a length of guitar string ($0.80 for 36") and for reference, 27 guage needle is 0075" ID. Hey presto, you have a bore-ream!

WhiteWolf
- with a few feet left over, if I can find it.