View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 08:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1/16 Bucyrus-Monighan Walking Dragline

[QUOTE=I'm going to do the math and see how I can remedy the hoist problem. I think I'm running right on the borderline with the current draw. When the point sheave is made it will be 3-5/8''dia. vs the 1-1/5'' one now that should help some. The dirt we had was really heavy too.[/QUOTE]

Well I removed the hoist motor this evening and found my culprit. On the shaft that runs from the hoist motor across to the pinion that drives the big gear on the hoist drum there was a key missing and the set screws backed out some and the motor shaft was slipping inside of the bore. It used to be pressed on slightly too. I think this problem goes all the way back to August when the bucket was dropping (with dirt) unexpectedly. This wasn't noticeable here in my shop while just practicing operation with no load. Also when we're at a show there's so much noise you can't hear whats happening. In my shop no radio or heater going, I powered the hoist then grabbed the drum stalling it and while looking at a amp meter saw the motor only was drawing 0.6 amps and I could hear it running. I fixed the key tightened the set screws then tried again and with some adjustments to my DC drive I was able to stall the drum at about 1amp and that nearly takes your hand off trying. So I guess it will work fine for the next outing. I also need to fix some missing bolts on the drag drum jaw clutch because it's slipping some under a heavy pull into hard soil. Right now it's just pressed in. I'm surprised it hasn't given out completely. I guess for now I'm finding all the missing parts from such a long build.