View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1/16 Bucyrus-Monighan Walking Dragline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCKiwi View Post
Great pictures! Is that broken section in Jack an I beam? Looks to have done a massive amount of work! Are they intending on fixing/saving him or will he go under the scrap mans torch?

Cheers
I don't think he'll be scrapped. They recently bought some parts from a diesel 9W that was scrapped and I'm assuming when the time comes the necessary work will be done . There's not many 9W's left as far as I can tell.
I didn't look up inside to assess the internal damage. I do know the frame work is built up just like the exterior's riveted angle plate design. From what I can tell that metal must have been really cold or just so many years of compressing just cracked apart. The rails are very worn and metal is peening over the edges if you noticed in the picture. I talked about it to the owner and he just said it needed some rail work. That was before I saw the real damage. He didn't seem too concerned about how hard of a fix it would be.
I didn't get inside because I didn't have them unlock the door, but looking up through a manhole under the machine I noticed the main drive motor was removed and one of the giant brake bands was setting on a shoe.
I sure hope they're not cannibalizing the machine for parts but only borrowing some for the other machine while the component is being repaired.