View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 01:48 AM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: "Steamers" Builds and collection

Thanks guys. If I known there was going to be this much interest when I built these engines I would have payed more attention. SD-40-2, the batteries are from a Sears jeep, two 6 volt 9 amp hr pack. All totaled there are four packs in there and it's enough to run about six hours. The speed control was built from drawing in Live Steam mag, March 89. Bought all the parts, just breadborded it and with a little fine tuning with a scope it works fine. The amp draw at full stall is 62 amp. Put a 100 amp shunt on the output and the meter is in the hand held controler. As I said before the traction motors are from an 18 wheeler cab mount air conditioner and I picked them up surplus. If you look at the large steamer, ones sitting on the rear frame. The motors are in the fuel tank and drive out to the truck with a Boston gear sliding drive shaft. there is a bevel gear box on the front axle and then a 25 pitch chain drive from axle to axle to axle, giving me two motor six wheel drive. Only ever saw it slip on aluminum rail in the rain. I should say that it ways in at 240 Lbs. I'll try to find pictures to post.