View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 10:05 PM

PetervR is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DAF XF in tamiya scale

making the mold isn't that hard.
just build a cab.
The first cab I build I used cardboard and plaster. that cab was one solid peice and very heavy. after that I used balsa wood. but I just wasn't really happy with the way it was in the mid of the build. then I found this cardboard. and tried it on this cab. besides this cab I also tried a small daf cab based on cardboard finished with balsawood.
but you cab use any material. I've use candelwax for mirrors.

once you're happy with the parts end result. but it in a box or tray. and pore the silicone over it. just a few thing to notice, make sure the part doesn't float, make sure the part can't deform, make sure the part can come out. those things are mostly done by glueing the part to the base. the last one is airbubles. after poring in the silicone tap the box or tray to get the bubble's out.

but this is a cab that can be cut up to flat parts. if you got a cab that is not able to be cut-up to flats. then there is the tricky job of suspening the cab in a box to cast the inside and outside mold together. then the floating, deforming and getting it out of the mold get harder. even the airbubbles are harder to get out. I have's got a vacuummachine to get the air out. I got a small machine to get air out of bags and seal them. just putting the part and the silicone in a bag doen't work. and I'm now trying to fix a bag to a box so i can get the air out of the box with the bagsealer.

after that it's just waiting for the silicone to set. and opening the tray and get the part out.

and to get a resin part. just mix the resin and pore it in. wait a few minuts and there is the part. and you can pore an otherone and an otherone, and an otherone.

the silicone I use is not the kind that is used to seal the windows an plumbing, but is a mold silicone. I buy it at a store that moustly sells to yachtbuilders and sculpters.
and infact if you build a cab like this you are a sculpter ;-).

I'll try to find pictures of the different stages.

gtz PetervR