View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 08:05 PM

Southgate is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1/25 6 Axle Lattice Crane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbuilder View Post
Dan , that thing is a master piece . I 'll be needing gear heads for my rotator . I got a few sites I'm looking at but a few more would be a help .

IHSteve
Thank you, Steve. Here's a link to a motor that is close, if not identical to the ones I used the most on my crane for the wheel drives and the 2 drums. The good thing is that it will work with reversable ESCs. I've tried smaller motors that will not work with the type of pulse an ESC makes. But these do fine and make a ton of torque.

The bad thing is that they are from UK, will cost ya in shipping. I'd estimate the price per to be about $28.00 before shipping. I used salvaged ones in my crane, didn't know about this place at the time.

My motors in particular:
https://secure.precisionmicrodrives....products_id=82

The home site:
https://secure.precisionmicrodrives.com/

They measure right at just over an inch around, just over 2 in long. Probably real workable in 1/16, if that's the scale you're working in.

On my drums, the motors actually go inside the drums and attach to a hub inside them to save space, and I used 2 motors per application partly because I got them free at the time. There are smaller motors to be had, but I question their use with ESCs, unless you know something I don't. If you do, PLEASE share that with me!!! I use RC racing "12 turn" ESCs, because they were all that was available. Cost more than the motors they drive!

I once even joined an RC racing forum to pick guys brains on the topic of reversable slow speed, low drain-high resistance/impedance motor control, but they didn't have any suggestions, they are all about speed. This forum is more what I hoped to find for some sort of tech support.

I have to admit, I have not posted in other peoples threads yet, I'm just kinda taking it all in, and am blown away by what some guys are building!!! And Im a bit lost here too. I'm going to have to learn what some of the terms mean and such. But I can tell good model building when I see it, and making it operational at realistic speeds is too cool! Dan