View Single Post
Old 07-05-2015, 06:25 AM
Apprentice

Rakthi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scaleart - assembling an Arocs 8x8 roll on roll off kipper

No point postponing jobs you don't like ... since nothing much going on today, bit the bullet and messed with the electrics of the cabin.

Sod's luck of course ... the bleeding power cables of the SMX are ½ inch too short ...

Inserted the LED for the indicators and attached them with a blob of hot glue. Kind of regret it, I made an error and when removing the glue, part of the paint came with it. (right side). Well one can't see it, and thinking of painting the underside of the fender black anyway like in real life, so no big loss.

Globbed some liquid tape on the back of the circuit board. Not really needed, but better safe than sorry with electricals.

Inserted the 2 plugs and the Function 4 cable of the SMX plug. Since the speaker stays in the cab, I could actually just have soldered the wires together instead of making this convoluted connection. oh well ... The speaker cables from the SMX were too thick to go into the provided holes.

Rummaged through the bits and pieces one accumulates and found a female JST (?) plug that fitted the power of the SMX Module. Came with one of my chargers, but never used it. Also fitted the Universal Bus thing to the circuit board. I could have run that one separately to the bus connectors in the lower level, but then one extra plug to undo.

Bolt the circuit board in place, which went easier than I expected.

And now to deal with the KingBus system. The wires need be coated in some solder to make them stiffer, and then you can push them in the round hole where they clip in. To release them put a thin screwdriver in the rectangular slot and push down. (I didn't know this)

All good an well for the single or double cables, but the 4 positive ones ... so I soldered them together and filed them to a reasonably small pin. (sorry shoddy pic but you get the idea) I know there are probably connectors in which you put the cables etc etc ... Wish I knew how they were called and where to get them.

All the cables inserted in the module

Module glued to the side of the cabine with the provided double sided tape.

And a view of the mess ... left all cables long enough so I can be redone if needed. Thinking of cutting some foam to hide it from sight.

So all in all this little exercise kept me busy for 3 hours + ... and I don't know if it is correct until I sort out the rest of the electric.

Cheers!
Stephan