View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 02:19 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation
Default Re: Hauling Dirt out of my basement (present day)

So I chucked the cassette (is that what they're called ) in the lathe & it started sparking like grinder... harden steel, eh? So I worked it over a bit with a cutting disc in my dremel & could see the parting line that the sprocket was not formed with hub. Took it my farm shop where I have MORE POWER! & ground that shoulder off to get 3 sprockets off. The other two I'm not sure what's holding them, but they're too small anyway.

A small 4" saw blade is a great idea footprint, as it'll have offset teeth with carbide tips.

Come to think of it, hacking up a saw blade, one could probably duplicate the rock bucket you showed hvy 1ton. Can you weld that kind of steel with a regular mig welder?

All the ripping I've been doing lately, I'm hitting stones constantly, so I've lost interest in the "rock saw" idea.

So I got to thinking that I should redesign my ripper tooth, give it more of a heel to work as a pry bar for when I strike rocks or really hard soil, curl the tooth to pry it up. Made it from 3/16's steel which is half the width of Kalle's tooth, gave it a sharp beveled edge and it's ripping like butter now!

I was thinking maybe making another tooth from 1/8 steel with more heel yet & maybe moreso like a "L" shape with 30degree rising angle, sorta like a subsoiler shank.