View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 05:58 AM
Green Horn

PaulNZ is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Freightliner Logger - Built By PaulNZ

Hi All
A couple of updates, this is getting close to being finished but still a few details to get done.

First load of Pine to the mill, load is a bit small, need to cut down a couple more trees to fill the bolsters.
Payload is 15KG, it gets along ok with this but I still have some work to do with the motor and gearing.

As mentioned early in the build, I am running an 80 Turn motor and std Pinion,
I find it is a little fast but not to bad, but surprisingly it has no power, one of the guys on the Aussie Forum warned me of this but I had already ordered and paid for it so I thought I would give it a go.
I have now ordered a 60 Turn motor, its a Venom Brand from the US, the type with the exposed brushes (not sure what they are called, remember I'm still new to RC) and three new steel pinions, a 10, 11, and 12 Tooth so I can play with the ratio's a bit. I had thought of putting one of those reduction box's on it but I still would like to make my own range section on the back, bit like a two speed planetary as seen on Euro trucks, this will be the most compact way to do it I think, 6 speed would be cool!

It was funny, the other day I was in second gear going along the footpath, and turned up the neighbours drive which is a slight uphill, half way up I had to change down to first and it launched the front off the ground for a second, I didn't back off the power and it just grunted up the hill and settled back down, I wish I had a video running at the time! its interesting because if you look where the fifth wheel is its forward of the centre unlike the std position behind centre, and with that much weight over the front axle it still lifted it, imagine what it would do in the std position, no wonder guys complain about the steering, I don't have an issue with the steering due to the weight over the front. I will do a Tare weight split with front and rear plus total, this will be one of my decals that I will make along with my Company Logo that will go on the doors.

Also ordered a sound module for it last week so that should bring it to life.
Not Sure where I will hide the speaker.........................

Below pictures were taken from my Daughter who has a Photography business and has done this for me, looks cool in B&W!

thanks for looking
Paul