View Single Post
Old 03-23-2022, 04:50 PM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road
Default Time for a rebuild

Ok.... this was my first RC conversion I did it about 3 years ago... everything worked....but looking back it didn't look the greatest but I learned a lot...
I realize most of this will be old hat for most of you but hopefully it will help somebody starting out ... or doing a Tonka conversion

Knowing a little more now than I did then I decided to do a rebuild on it to see if I could come up with something better... so I started from scratch
new frame rails..they are 3/8 plywood edging AKA aluminum channel

they are roughly 13mmx13mm I cut the "legs" down to 8mm to give it a more frame rail look. I'm still using WPL axles and running gear so that makes my frame width about 56mm to keep the springs all lined up... the inside width is 52mm cause that's what the WPL transfer case is...

Now I have a 3D printer so I printed a servo mount and new spring hangers... no idea yet on how they will hold up but I want to at least try it...
The front of the leaf springs are screwed to the frame rail then the back just hooks over the rear hanger so it can float.

It's actually coming together better than I thought it would.

I got the front axle mounted, I'm not sure I'm going to use this driveshaft it works but looks kind of klunky

I'm using a different dump bed on the rebuild so I want to get it located on the frame before I start on the new dump cylinder. Plus I need to add a bracket for it to attach to

I want to keep it about 3/4 in off the wheels so I shortened the mounting tabs and made a spacer to get it up a little and not have the bed mounting bolt hit the rear wheels

There.. it sits level and is just about the right height... now I can get my distances for the dump cylinder