View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 06:32 PM

hintzconst is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 6 Cylinder Diesel For a D9

@MADDA

I'm actually a general contractor by trade, I used to do cnc prototyping in a shop that only worked with "exotic" metals. The closest we came to mild or carbon steel was 304 Stainless. Most projects were 304/ 316L, Titanium, Monel, Inconel, Hastoloy, ect. If everything works out as currently planned I will be building this with a 4 axis VMC and slant bed CNC lathe, that I am planning on adding to my metal shop, if not I'll be using my 10x50 bridgeport clone and southbend 10Lx36 lathe so i'm really hoping the pieces all fall into place properly.

@TD9CLYDE

1/4 scale would be easier but in the grand scheme of things the weight of it was what decided that it would be 1/5. The is about 3500 lbs different between 1/5 and 1/4 for the whole build. I've never been a fan of the 2 stroke diesels, I'm sure they're great but not my cup of tea. Since most of my enjoyment comes from the design and build I'm not looking for the easy way but the best functioning piece I can make.

@STEAMER

I'm really leaning toward the stainless mostly because I know the joys of machining inconel, not to mention the overall cost of it.

@MOG

This video is actually my inspration for this build. In its current form I didn't believe that it looked ready for use in an r/c so I decided to build one that could be used in any r/c that it could fit in. My eventual goal is to design and build a 1/12-1/14 scale diesel engine but I wanted to start with a bigger one so I can figure everything out.