View Single Post
Old 10-30-2016, 05:06 AM

Papy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Eagle Mach Excavator 1/14

Sorry for the waiting time.....the 1:1 scale sandbox took a lot of my time in the past days.

I do not want to compare this "360" with another model, as I do not have any idea of what the others are worse.

I will not add a lot of pictures also, as the model can be seen from all angles on the RC4WD website. If you are interested in a specific detail, just ask, I will try my best to satisfy.

Just facts :

About dimensions, as mentionned above, if you consider the scale is 1/14.5 the "360" is based on a Volvo 460B/480D model, so a 45/50 metric tonnes model.

Undercarriage is 248mm wide and 303mm from center of tumbler to center of idler wheel, which make it exactly fit the dimensions of the variable gauge 480DL chassis in extended position. However, it represents a fixed gauge chassis. This "mistake" apart, the details are excellent.

The upperstructure features a scale "B series" looking cab, with a decent interior.

The one piece, heavy counterweight is also modeled after a B series and looks nice.

Overall, the upperstructure is 231mm wide, which is out of scale whatever the original model considered. 36/50 tonnes machines are just 2990mm wide and this would give around 210mm in 1/14.5 scale

The left hood panel and resulting counterweight clearance radius are the only things clearly inspired from a 360D.

The right panel has louvers, which is pure imagination, and looks particularly weird on the area where you are supposed to find the hydraulic tank of the real machine.

The top panel shows anti-slip material, which is accurately molded.

All the parts are die-cast in zinc or aluminium alloy with a high quality of the details.

The digging equipment features the 7.00 metres standard 480D boom with the 3.35 meters stick. The digging enveloppe of the model looks close to the previous 4200XL, but I did not have the opportunity to put both models aside.

Although "only" 100mm wide, the bucket is really a masterpiece of casting! It's plenty of details (wear plates, reinforcement gussets, etc.) and looks decently close to a real bucket. Now, will the alloy resist to real play? Only time will tell.

As you can see on the two pictures, the guts under the hood are arranged with care, and there is space enough for a big battery (8500 mAh in place). Be careful, the maximum battery dimensions given on the website are absolutely not realistic.

The hydraulics are very interesting. The new system features 2 check valves in the circuit. One is located on top of the main valves and the second is "hidden" in the de-dusting filter on top of the hood. This last one is used to adjust the max pressure by simply rotating the cover (no tool required), and the integrated manometer directly shows the result.
The real positive point is that the pressure in the circuit remains at a low level when no function is activated. To my knowledge, no other model manufacturer offer this advantage.
I haven't made a test "in field" now, but the equipment forces seem to be way enough for serious digging.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to tell as much as I could about this model. I hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC021159.jpg (66.7 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg DSC021160.jpg (78.7 KB, 239 views)