View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 06:03 PM
Green Horn

ricm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What kind of motor need in PMD reduction 4:1 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarZep View Post
Need help! I install a
PMD AD-to-Transmission Reduction 4:1 with a tamiya motor 33T but when I run the truck in 1gear and 2gear it makes to much noise in transmission and runs very slow. Can someone tell me what is causing this noise If it is the motor or the PMD reduction 4:1 ?

Sorry for my English, my writing its not to good, I live in Mexico.
Thank you
I've got the same set-up in my King Hauler....Tamiya's Torque Tuned 33T truck motor with PMD 4:1 reduction. The reduction gearbox has steel gears, so it does make a bit of noise. But this should be the same in any gear.....maverick0 is correct to suggest that you check:

1) the transmission shift servo is set up correctly - this is the cause of MANY mechanical problems in Tamiya trucks. If the gear is not fully engaged then the dog teeth jump, sounds like a grinding noise. In 2nd gear, the servo should be in middle position....1st and 3rd gear should have the same amount of servo movement in each direction from 2nd, so that the circlips on the shift rod -just- touch the gear casing. Too much more, and the servo will bind and get damaged in the longer term
2) position of pinion on the motor shaft (if the pinion is too far from the motor then the grub screw will chew into the nylon gear it drives, making noise and damaging the gear).

Also, check:
3) there is some clearance between the teeth of the motor pinion and the drive gear. Easiest way is to set the motor position with a piece of paper between the teeth. When you remove the paper, the clearance should be about right
4) the grub screws for the drive axle cup joints are tight (use the threadlock!)
5) axles are running freely
6) the inside of the rear wheel rims are not rubbing on any of the suspension parts

but with everything set up right, the truck does run very slowly in 1st (which is the whole point!), and it a bit more noisy than a standard build because of the steel gears...