View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 11:50 AM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dragline Crawler Build

Jim-welcome to the world of old shovel style tracks. This was a nightmare for me, but after many ruined parts I made it work. I don't think this formula will work for you because you have already determined your pitch by making the track pads first. All I can tell you is what I did. I think you need to wrap your pads around the sprocket and measure the pitch in the circle. Of course it will be different than with the pads lying flat but You will need to set the pitch that will work on the circle and in the transition from the flat to the circle. This is the tricky part. If the pitch is perfect for the circle the drive dogs may catch on the edge of the sprocket cut out. If you cannot make the math work on degrees you may have to change the dia. of the sprocket and this is where the never-ending circle begins. You may have to angle the sides of the drive dogs and put a greater angle on the sides of the sprocket grove to keep the drive dogs from catching on the edge. You may also have to round the top corners of the drive dog.Here is a diagram-

You may also have to have divider plates for your rotary table depending on how the math works. Good luck-hope this makes sense.

Last edited by modelman; 06-01-2015 at 11:53 AM. Reason: adding something