View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 03:42 AM

dozerbuilder is on a distinguished road
Default Re: need help with dump trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvjimd View Post
Dozerbuilder,

Thanks for the actuator info! Can't wait to see the plans! Not sure I understand the attachment from the D shaft of the motor to the screw? Did you have to broach a D into the end of the screw? That would be hard for me to do. Where do you get the acme shafts?

Sorry for the thread creep.

Jim
Hey Jim.

No broach, don't know how to use one. I'm just a bush mechanic having learned the trade over several decades working on big dozers in the coal mines here. To make the D in the shaft, drilled a 3mm dia hole dead centre in the end of the shaft centered in the lathe chuck, ground the acme thread off about a quarter of the diameter of the end to weaken it, laid it on an anvil and with a piece of heavy flat and a hammer, whacked it till the weak side formed the shape of the flat on the D to fit the motor shaft loosley. Pounded the thrust bearing (actually a roller bearing)on over the ground off bit.ACME Lead screws are on aliexpress

I've sort of unintentionally taken over sped74's thread, I will make a tech forum build thread for these soon. Sorry sped74. How are you getting on with yours anyhow?