View Single Post
Old 10-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
Thanks for sharing that dump bed pic in other post! Yes I need a tig welder. Only problem is I don't need it for anything other than my toys. Have been looking around for a good ac/dc , I don't know much about what to look for, any suggestions? Would be used on just thin stuff, 1/8".

And yes I got a small pump from rcbrim, pump and esc, same as rc4wd. I'm sure pump will be more than enough. Still not sure about hoist mech but only testing will tell. If it doesn't work out I'll be pestering you for a box and hoist!!!
No problem. You think that you won't use a TIG for anything else until you have one. No smoke, no sparks... it becomes pretty appealing in a big hurry! I haven't welded much mild steel with it but I definitely think MIG has it's leg up on TIG with that. Especially if getting the job done quickly is important. TIG takes more time, gas and patience. My welder is a 225amp Lincoln. It will weld 1/4" no problem but anything thicker is a stretch without preheating. I also have a Miller Diversion 165 that I started out on. It was replaced with a diversion 180 I believe but it is a nice little beginner AD/DC welder. I think the newer version comes with a foot peddle as well as the finger tip adjustment. There are also a few of the 3 in 1 welders out there now which seem to be popular but I have no experience with them. Take this with a grain of salt as I am not a welder. Someone else on here could probably give you better advise.