View Single Post
Old 01-16-2017, 10:29 PM
Green Horn

Tommy R is on a distinguished road
Default Peterbilt 6x6 Medium Hauler

Hey y'all,

I've always wanted to build a Tamiya semi truck. They're just so cool looking and I've been a fan of big rigs since I was a kid (maaaaany moons ago!). I've spent hours and hours watching those incredible expos in Europe where people build and drive their amazingly detailed trucks through scale cities, but sadly, it doesn't seem to be very popular here in the States. :cry: So that means if I were to build a semi truck, I would likely have to run it with my crawler buddies. Now I know converting one of these trucks to all wheel drive will absolutely NOT make it a crawler. However, I should be able to do mild trails with it and honestly, that's all I care about for this truck.

So which one to buy? The Euro cabover trucks like the Scania, Mercedes, and Volvo look fantastic, but all the front overhang and such a short wheelbase would combine to make an already ill-performing offroader nearly useless in our terrain. I would really need something with a slightly longer wheelbase and minimal front overhang. So I looked into the US trucks like the Globe Liner, King Hauler, Aeromax, Grand Hauler, etc. Some had a wheelbase that was just too long so they got ruled out. I also figured this truck would have a bit of a "heavy hauler" or "construction" type look so that ruled out the trucks with tall sleeper cabs. That left me with the Globe Liner and the King Hauler. And since I won't go full bore "heavy hauler", I felt calling it a "medium hauler" was appropriate.

And after months of researching them and what it would take to make them all wheel drive, I opted for the King Hauler. The longer cab would likely give more options for drivetrain and the mandatory sound system! :mrgreen: Tower Hobbies hooked me up with a generous gift code and I already had a gift certificate so they got the order. Three days later....

BAM!

The first order of business is to do a stock 6x4 build with RWD only. It's crazy, but after being in the hobby since the '80s this will be my first Tamiya build! I can't believe they still use philips screws, but oh well. Once it's built I plan to convert it to a 6x6 and I'm still trying to decide which method I want to follow because there are plenty of options! I also figured I'll do some bodywork during this time. Since the King Hauler isn't really a Peterbilt or Kenworth or any other specific brand, I would like to put some effort into making it a Peterbilt. I'm not yet sure how far I plan to go with that, but it may include front fenders, a grill, and some badges. That would likely be all I'd consider, to be honest. Specifically, I'm after the look of a Peterbilt 359. Now let's build!!

Chassis all done!

For the axles I had something in mind. I didn't want to fully lock the axles because I'd like the truck to have a reasonable turning radius on concrete. However, it needs a true 6 wheel drive to get anywhere and open diffs just won't cut it. So I decided to try an experiment with some Gravity RC 2.5 million weight diff grease. My hope is that offroad it will lock up enough to spin all the tires, but allow diff action when turning on grippy concrete. Time will tell if it works! Here's the goop going in.

Roller status!! I also installed a Savox 1256 servo for the steering. It's only got about 277 ounces, but I think that might be fine for this type of rig.

Transmission coming together. I'll lock it into first gear for now, but eventually I'll have a servo to shift it.

Trans and an Integy 55t motor installed with the stock 10t pinion. I hear these things are way too fast with the stock gearing so I'll have to address that for sure.

Now the body and accessories. The base build is pretty much done.