View Single Post
Old 12-01-2014, 08:36 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 4 Hour Bruder Dozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman View Post
RCP57-please understand, I am not criticizing your work. You are doing outstanding work on these plastic models but I noticed on your 1st. dozer the sprocket looked a little small for a scale-appearing look. This last one you made looks larger and more detailed and probably fits the scale better (just my opinion). However, I realize that you are trying to build something affordable for these tighter budgets and saving labor is crucial. Maybe you should offer-2- models. A bare bones cheaper machine and an optional model with all the good parts. Just a suggestion but you probably know what you want out of this. I know from my tries that machining detailed parts takes a lot of time and that is money. I am not a big fan of plastic models but I will be keeping up with this!! Very interesting thread.
Yes the sprockets on the first one were just to see if the conversion would even work. I made them up out of two pieces using chunks of stuff lying around my scrap bin. The new pair are one piece and made to look much like a D6 planetary. Even though the sprockets are exactly the same as the original ones I made the planetary hub larger to hide the sprocket and look more "scale". You're right, cost vs build time is almost always an issue so I'd like to keep it simple...Well actually, I would like to build it very detailed but trying to get $1500-2000CAD for a conversion like this might be tough. If people are willing to pay then I am happy to make the parts however they want! I won't make anything like the first drive parts again. I was just thinking that instead of drilling all those holes and making fake bolts, I would just drill dimples and save a bunch of time. When it's finished though, all the critical parts are metal so I guess that price maybe not so out of line. I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhrafan View Post
Awesome build Reg !!!!!!! I know somebody is going to be really happy with that D-6 !!!! wink wink lol !!!!! Another home run !!!!!
I'm glad you like it Keith! I hear Santa has it on someones wish list for Xmas this year so this elf is working hard....

Last edited by RCP57; 12-01-2014 at 08:49 PM.