View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 10:28 PM

Trucker47 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Let The Build Begin!

Update!

Well I was able to get some time on our bigger engine lathes and got some hubs made. They are now ready for the CNC to drill out the final mounting holes. They have a finished OD of 25mm, ID of 4mm and length of 15mm.

I was also able to test out turning steel Jeez is that ever harder than Brass or Aluminium (no pun intended) I started by making the rotator ring that the model will rivot/rotate upon.

Then I tried to make the spool for a valve. And thats where it all went bad, first i accidentally ran my tool into the chuck and snapped my carbide insert (luckily it was only the insert). Then our very high end lathes (1950's engine lathes that cannot even cut straight) slipped while grooving a slot for some o-ring and bent the spool .

So I said screw it and made one out of aluminium

I am not really happy with it so I may remake it out of brass. Anyways I should be getting a pump soon so I should be starting to make something move by end of January!!

Also I just picked up some 16GA Hot Rolled sheet steel and will be running it through the mill to construct the rear of the chassis.

Here's an exploded view so you can get an idea of how many plates are just on the back:

-Chris