View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 03:24 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation
Default Re: Something new to rc

I'm certainly a magnet for unusually cold weather during spring/summer/fall since 2007... 2012 is the only yr I didn't get a late May - early June frost to screw up my hay crop, close to 3t/ac vs .5 to .8t/ac 5yrs prior to & since, last yr was zero - didn't make a bale!...2010 was early Sept frost... 2011 was mid Sept... big price losses in cereal grains... 2013 there was a 3rd week of August frost that decimated my brown mustard crop a few weeks before harvest, one field on higher level ground does 28bu/ac & a different one in lower ground & triple in size does 8bu/ac... last yr was 4 hail storms from mid June to mid July, it's been from one extreme to the next the last decade with 2012 being the only bright spot with high quality - big bushels - high prices simultaneously.

Left to seed - 180ac brown mustard that I'll get to when the sun shines again, maybe on the wkend, 75ac slough that's self draining & should be able do right away that'll be sowed to oats for green feed again, and 270ac durum that's crazy wet atm...

This latest system that came through, my rain gauge is 6/10's of an inch plus whatever snow the gauge doesn't catch... 20 miles to west ppl talking 2 to 4 inches & same to the east, I'm thankful I didn't get bombed with that much moisture in a couple day period.

Maybe tomorrow I can get around on my quad & I take some pics of my crops as they're just in their infancy.

Joe