View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Help with G scale RC?

Hi Nick,

I think that would be very easy to convert. In fact quite a few guys do convert their G scale models to battery power, and radio operation. Just because they don't have to worry about cleaning the track for good electrical conductivity. All you really need to do is find a suitable speed controller, get a battery tucked inside the locomotive, and hook the ESC up to a receiver. I know I have seen a lot of LGB models converted to RC, with onboard power. Perhaps some of their models even come that way, or have provisions for conversions. The radio throttles I have seen guys use with their locomotives are usually like those for walk around HO indoor layouts. Smaller handheld radios, with a knob for the speed, and a switch for direction. I think many scratchbuild their own radio throttles, but maybe there is an aftermarket product out there. You could just as easily use a stick radio, without a self centering throttle. Like those used for planes. That way you have cruise control and don't need to maintain the pressure on the stick to hold the speed. What voltages do these large models run on? 24 volts? Finding a robust ESC for that voltage wouldn't be all that hard. They are out there. A battery pack could be built, or purchased. The nice thing is the weight of a battery pack would add ballast to the model, so it could pull walls down!

It would be a cool project. And not all that hard to do. You could even control your light functions from the radio, which would be awesome. I am sure a sound unit could be added as well. Not much different then scale trucking.