View Single Post
Old 04-07-2014, 08:45 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First build ,cat D11

Transferred markings to this piece of aluminum I had. Don't know where it came from but it fit the bill

Milling it to the correct size, I'm making side pockets for it to slide into along side frames. And in the mill it's 1/8" thick plate so some clamps to keep it from vibrating too much to mill. As I don't have a band saw and needed to have square clean edges.

After cutting out. I made some openings in the front to get some of the air from the fan. I was planning on heating up then bending the front, back and sides. But,,,,, I don't know what kind of aluminum this was but it doesn't want to bend. It broke at every bend. Plate so I guess it was just too thick to bend to 90 degrees. After breaking all the sides I spent a lot of time milling out,,,,,,I used that aluminum weld rod stuff. It works pretty well but doesn't penetrate wort beans. I'm going to at some time in future have it welded on the bottom seams. But for now the torch welding will work fine.