View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1/16 Bucyrus-Monighan Walking Dragline

Quote:
Originally Posted by D8R View Post
Wow, that wheel looks so much better when milled, guess you have to run the machine without any superstructure on it. when milling in brass, how much do take in each pass?
Guess that with the time spent in machine, it would be max 1/16. Will it be milled all way?

I have a RF35 milling machine, do you know of any good and cheap conversions for CNC. Guess that most CAD program can export right format to the CNC. When I draw for laser cutting most companies want DXF files.

my hat of, Steve, looking forward for progress.
Dan
What do you mean by no superstructure? I have a good bit of it complete. I still need to make the rest of the diagonal bracing up there though. As far as how big a cut I just go easy on parts that could be trashed easily. I used a carbide .125'' dia. endmill so you have to go easy. Look at the mill control graphics and you see I took .025'' each lap around the shape. I also went to depth in 4 passes to .150''. My Cam program is a older version of BobCad Cam. I have a newer version but don't like it.