Thread: My "office"
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Green Horn

Rogue is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My "office"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddc333 View Post
........ I was the only one in the group I went through that had operated before and found the simulator hard because it I couldn't feel the response of the machine. What made it worse was I had come from a mechanical truck back ground to electric drive and there is a fair bit of difference between them.

I went through the same learning curve, as I came from a mechanical truck background. I still find myself reaching for that retarder handle sometimes

Kangaroos are an issue where we mine and at least one a day is to slow for the trucks.

Out here where I am at, the **** antelope are what run rampant. They literally out number the human population in this state by 30,000 !!!
We have all sorts of wildlife on our site. Bald and Golden Eagles, antelope, prairie dogs, rattlesnakes, wild turkeys, and these big bull elk.There are 5 total, but you usually only catch these 3 at one time. All 5 together is a treat. The wander free on our reclaimed property. Needless to say, ALL wildlife has the right-of-way. We had to shut down one of our pits back in April, as we within 1 mile of a pair of nesting eagles that had hatchlings.

Rick are your trucks speed limited ? Our maximum speed is 50km/hr. As far as i know we don't have an issue with over loads as they aim for 218t maximum payload. This something that Komatsu have put in place as a warranty measure. But that doesn't mean that trucks don't get over loaded just doesn't seem to restrict it's speed.

Yes, the 830e's are limited to 28mph. The 930ae's are good up to 35mph. While not as fast as the big trucks, the 830's are quicker to build speed, so it's gets to be a pain when they mix the two sizes on a run. The big trucks are slower when loaded and climbing a ramp, yet they all but push the small trucks coming down a ramp empty.
Our 830's are good for 285ton, before they go into limp mode. The 930's are good for 385. The shovel hands on my crew are typically consistent at keeping the trucks right in the 245-260 range.

The emphasis is on the load unit operators not to overload the the trucks. But half the scales don't work properly or there is a problem with the computer systems or they just don't have scales. Also the loading units have scales so they go off those but without the truck scales there is nothing to check their accuracy against. The foreman often tells them throughout a shift how the loads are if they are to heavy or light or to slow turning trucks around and so on.

WOW, our computer system is so stringent its not even funny. The shovel keeps track of loads and tons total per shift, and loads and total tons per each truck that he loaded that shift. The computer in the truck logs total loads, and tons moved per shift. Cycle times are also logged by both the trucks and shovels. We just finished up 3rd quarter, and with the weather conditions being ideal here, our three 4100 shovels averaged 2.6 million tons each per month for the quarter.

We use a 35t excavator to scrap out the bodies on the trucks when they get a build up in them or when they have to go to the work shop. Or the cannon of the water cart to blast it out if the little digger is unavailable
They don't like you to shake the trucks to much as it can cause issues and things break but if you have to do it reverse hard till you hit the wind row then break pull the hoist up all at once.

We too use a small excavator for cleaning beds. We also have a older CAT 988 with a quick-change on it that has a stinger attachment for cleaning beds. We appropriately call this the "Violator". They don't like us "brake-checking" when the boxes are up, but we do it. i've seen trunnions shear off, and hoist cylinder spike into the dirt. Worse yet, one will pierce the floor of the box.

Night shift isn't that bad but all depends on what your doing and when you can have your break.

I usually like to take my break 2/3 through shift. That way you only have 3-4 hours left, and you're done. But we don't always get to make the call, as it's up to dispatch.
The computer system basically only records what the operator does so if you got hit the brakes hard it will record it as hard brake application and warnings go to dispatch and the foreman, same deal for over speeds.

Our system does everything but tell you if your socks don't match, or what's in your lunchbox that day..

My other truck is a Komatsu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.