View Single Post
Old 10-26-2016, 07:42 PM

RexRacer19 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3D Printed CAT 963K Track Loader w/Raspberry Pi Control

The supports, other than the triangular pieces at the end of the track pads, are generated by my 3D Printing software. The way support structures typically work, is that the printer will skip a layer or two (user controlled) between the top of the support and the first layer of the structure that sits on top of them. That way the top of the support has a little time to cool, and the next layer is not "pressed" into the support layer below it because of the gap of the missing layer. This forms a weak bond which makes the support easier to break away. It all works pretty well, but the part does require at least a little bit of sanding/filing to clean up some scars at the interface.

I have been printing my tracks two at a time, and it takes one hour for the pair. I could print more at a time, but I was concerned that the extra time between layers would allow too much cooling and reduce the bond strength between layers. These parts will likely see the most stress over anything else on the loader, so I want them as strong as the printer can make them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.