Thread: All About LED's
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 12:15 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: All About LED's

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbettTrailers View Post
Nathan, That sounds great. And I will repay you by keeping the knowledge I learn and passing it on to the next newbie that needs the info. Someday, somewhere someone will be in need.
Corbett, no problem at all. I'll try and get something up by the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDontKnow View Post
Hmmm, somewhere back in this thread it was stated that each LED requires a resistor!
Not True! I have two flatbed trailers each with 10 clearance lights (5 each side) and only 1 resistor.
I have the infrared lighting system from SS-Tronix and the whole thing is powered by a 7.2v pack mounted between the rails. Power comes up from underneath feeds to a 1/2 watt resistor then loops in and out of each led in parralel down the left side and back up the right. Works beutifully using 3mm high brightness orange LED's in chrome bezels.
If I get a chance I will show some pictures of the setup.
There are a couple ways to wire LEDs. If you wire them in parallel, then each LED definitely needs it's own resistor. If you wire them in series, then you can get away with using one resistor for each set of LEDs in series.

Out of the two methods, I wire LEDs in series. The reason being that it is a more efficient circuit and the total current draw will be less then a parallel circuit. I'll go more into depth with this explaination as soon as I get some drawings whipped up!