View Single Post
Old 01-30-2018, 10:50 PM
Journeyman

Lmackattack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tamiya 3 Speed..... Love It or Hate It?

I like the 3 speed but it is very bulky and top gear is way to fast for anything other than empty parking lots and that can lead to a costly roll over. the 4:1 by PMD makes the stock 3 speed much better if you have the space to mount it. Out of the 4 trucks I have only 1 has the 3 speed in it and I used a slow RPM motor with it to keep speed down in 3rd gear. Its a cab over carpet queen with the room for it and tt sees no off road use so I dont mind keeping it. As for the other 3 trucks that pull weight around I found the RC4wd planetary disruptor is geared to about the same 1st gear ratio of the tamiya 3 speed. It does everything I want with around a 35T motor. It has the torque to pull the front axle off the ground on a good hard pull and the slow speed control for the off road. I think the biggest plus with the disruptor is I can mount the unit and motor in a compact space on the lower flange of the frame rails and none of it sticks above the top of the frame rails. this makes mounting stuff under the hood and cab of a day cab tractor very easy.

thats my .02