View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 05:06 AM

Southgate is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1/25 6 Axle Lattice Crane

Yeah, guys. ya gotta feel for the little fella. But I bored him out and got him all patched up before I put his head on so he never felt a thing! ('sides that, he's plastic)

Moving along, the hood cant be finished until the exhaust and intake details are done, so here's where that is. I like these little sock hangers for this kind of work, as they provide nice round "pipe" with different radius curves to work with.

I use different sizes of rods and pins to help make the joints...

I came up with an idea while working on the crane that will work on most any other truck that calls for a custom exhaust system. I turned a bunch of these little muffler ends on the lathe. Note the hole in the center, the stepped radius diameters.

Now I simply make a muffler casing of the right diameter K&S aluminum tube, any length desired, to fit the given application. A 7/32 tube goes down the center to act as muffler sleeves. 3/16 tube is used for the final stacks, resembling 4' pipe. The screen is expanded aluminum made from frying pan spatter screens available at wal mart cheap. After cutting to the proper length, you wrap it around a pen or something to get the desired radius, and superglue ot together.

These are relatively short, as to stay as out of the way of the boom as possible. they'll go about here.

Not too bad, huh? Dan