View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 10:19 PM
Journeyman

rockNmayhem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My Ford FW-60 Project

Well it's time for a small (heavy) update this evening. I took a little break from the MAN this evening and decided to finish working on the tractor since I started on it again monday. Since the last updates from the disc I've taken a little time to run the tractor and play around with the blade and rippers finally in the hard ground and after some short operating time I came to the conclusion that my biggest problem with this tractor wasn't power, it was traction.

The tractor as seen in all the previous updates weighed in at only a touch over 6 lbs fully built and operational. I got to thinking how I could start rebuilding the tractor already and adding more weight in places then it hit me........ I don't need to rebuild anything, I just need to overbuild everything that I have. I started with very small stuff and to also add details as in the metal air cleaner and I'm making some aluminum accessories that have yet to be installed. I realized that those little aluminum bits weren't going to cut it so I got a wild hair up my....... well you know, and decided to go big (heavy) or just suffer.

Leading into how the tractor currently sits tonight I started adding lead weight in some of the extra spaces that I had in the tractor including behind the step boxes, under the hood, inside the frame rails, under the back half of the frame as well as adding a pound of lead to each set of duals upping my overall weight of the tractor to a boasting 16lbs.

Needless to say I no longer have traction issues and the tractor still has plenty of power to pull itself and about any attachment I can throw behind it. I had been running the tractor around the work room and outside a bit and noticed that all of a sudden my steering was getting really sloppy and weak. So I brought it inside this evening and spent some time tearing the back end apart to find that the HS645MG Hitec servo wasn't in to healthy of a condition. Now granted that I haven't run it too much since adding the weight I decided to not wanna tear it apart again if I didn't have to so I opted to put in the biggest servo I had laying around.

That servo would be a Savox coreless digital servo with over twice the power of the hitec, I went from just at 8 lbs of force to steer this pig to over 16 lbs of force to easily and consistently turn this heavy rig around.

I will try and get some videos up sunday as I'm busy as can be tomorrow and saturday but I'll finally get some up for you guys to enjoy. So now that I've explained everything lately, here are some new updated pics of the tractor after an hour or so of working time on it and how it currently sits weighted down.

And here is how the new Hitec servo looks after about an hour in the tractor.

Thanks for looking guys and lemme know what you think or any questions you have.

Tyler