View Single Post
Old 10-23-2014, 09:46 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

Well enough of the horsing around,,,

I've got a question, in the pics below my screwdriver is pointing to the track pins. They are made of brass and the track shoes and links are aluminum. I thought that the aluminum would wear first, not brass. But it looks as if the brass pins are wearing faster, faster than I thought. I brought the d11 in for the lights to be installed and gave it a good going over. I have noticed some slop in tracks and knew they were wearing as the front wheel assembly was getting further out on the track tension.

This one you can see the original size, 1/8" I suspect this one has locked to that link and rolling on the other one.

This one you can see on the inner link the amount of movement between links.

Now I had thought the aluminum would wear first, but it looks as if the brass pins are wearing out. That would be great as they are sooo much easier to make than the links!! Does this sound right to you guys? Brass going faster than aluminum? Over winter I will be tearing down and checking tolerances on links. Hopefully they will be acceptable and just pins needing replaced. Future pins will be made out of steel. Sound right? Ultimately I would love to have links and pins made of steel but that's a lot of metal splinters for me