View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 04:13 PM

crueby is on a distinguished road
Default Hi from a live steamer!

Hi all, new to this site though I've been a modeler for many years. Mostly done a lot of RC boats, though more recently I've gotten into steam engines and vehicles. Some of my more recent models are a Kozo Shay locomotive:

and a Lombard Log Hauler, which does include RC control for throttle and steering (some of you may have seen this one at Cabin Fever year before last). It is based on plans I drew after measuring the one at the looging museum up in Maine.

Currently I am working on a Marion 91 steam shovel, based on the last remaining one in LeRoy NY (near me) which I was able to get access to for measuring/photographing. I am about a year and a half into the build, should be done by next winter. It is 1:16 scale, and will be fully operational - making the slew/crowd engines now. Here is a shot of it partway along:

This is the prototype outside the quarry in LeRoy, where it worked from 1906 to 1949:

At some point I would like to build a RC excavator of a more model style, am researching that now.

Chris