View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Drill Press Advice Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by siuvinson View Post
harbor freight has a nice looking drill press for $70 - decent reviews...people say that attaching the chuck can be a bit difficult though. I had looked at it, but did not pull the trigger b/c my fiance agreed to let me register at Menards for our wedding so I chose to wait until then.

In my experience, the harbor freight stuff can be hit/miss...between my father and I, we've been pretty pleased overall, but have had our share of poor investments on a few products from them.
Which part of the chuck were they refering too? If it's getting the morse taper to stay in the drill press spindle, clean everything with brake clean or solvent. I still have to whack my chuck with a 2 x 4 it make it stay. Greasy tapered part's won't play nice!

If the chuck won't stay on the morse taper shank, clean both peice's, heat the chuck up in your oven for 30 or so minute's(300'), handle with glove's and stick the morse taper shank in the hot chuck, give it a whack with a hammer and let it cool. doesn't alway's work on import stuff.

I bought a harbor frieght drill press for my dad, didn't work, but they exchanged it for another one.

Find some small "center drill's", and use that before any small drillbit's, help's stop the drill from "walking" and breaking.

I use a magbase drillpress and steel work bench for project's, never use the drill press anymore.
Cheer's, Neil.