View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 12:09 PM

Jakyat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: KW c500 double set back tandem tandem 8X8 help

It is coming together nicely. I did run into a few minor setbacks with the main winch. My first attempt involved a separate brushless/esc set up running through a series of gears/shafts and miniature drive chain/sprockets....to a crawler transmission for the final drive. Once it was complete, I kept on breaking the drive chain. I then made a module using a 42 oz continuous rotation servo with a 24 tooth servo gear as a pinion, along with a 48 tooth gear mounted on the end of the winch drum as the spur gear. This worked but wasn't ideal because in order to place the servo in between the frame rails, the winch drum wasn't perfectly centered on the chassis, and the winch didn't pull as hard as I wanted it to. I am wanting at least 40lbs of pull. I feel that the 42 oz servo set up was pulling around 5-6 lbs. I have just recently modified the module and winch drum to accept 2 drive servos. I have ordered 2, 486 oz servos from servo city. I have customized the order by having them modify theses servos to continuous rotation. I have also ordered a servo programmer so I can reverse the direction on one of them, and I can perfectly synchronize the servo speeds for the purpose of driving the winch drum equally.
This unit has 10 servos and a total of 11 different functions including the selectable lockers front and rear. I am using a spectrum 18 channel to control everything.I have test drove and all seems to be fine. I will post a link to video once I am ready. very challenging build for a first timer, but I am enjoying the challenge.