View Single Post
Old 04-24-2014, 12:42 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation
Default Re: Hauling Dirt out of my basement (present day)

Tom, the dirt was a bit too moist & being the sub soil clay that came from my basement, very sticky & compacts quickly! I dumped those two piles in there late last fall with my small Massey FEL. That dirt is soaked up from 17inches of rainfall last summer/fall. The other pile is wetter yet, I think some snow had blown in melted into it during the winter.

The problem with using the dozer to pull a pan is you have to be so careful how sharp you turn at any given time, not to roll dirt into the links & bind them up. This subsoil clay packs in like cement. Even Joe's dozer, he had trouble with rock & clay in the track links at Cabin Fever in 2012 & had to take the tracks off to clean them a couple of times.

In the Flat Topping video, a few different times dirt fell from the cut wall with the right track too close getting dirt into track tensioner & links... now I gotta take that side apart & clean it to get it functioning properly again.

The weather has been crappy again today, must have got an inch overnight cause it sure was a soggy mess to get around today... so I spent the better part of the day out in the shop hauling dirt to the outer edges, sealing off the daylight & the cold draft! Both piles have less than half the dirt they did just a few days ago. The 850, the adt, the WA500 have been busy!

Thanx for the photos Neil, some kool iron to drool at... lucky you to have had the experience of running them.

Nathan, we will make that video if the fellas from the east side ever make it over or I get there next Fall for the model engineering show. I don't see it possible that I could operate two models at the same time, even with I changed the throttle back to no spring center... I don't think I want to make the dozer to push full throttle, over amp the motors & burn 'em up.. or the back of the scraper sliding up the dozer blade from pushing too hard.. or... gotta have two operators to do it right without a wreck!

FB, I could certainly T each function together & make it work, but rough guess, it would be better than 18 feet of tubing & six T's, which I don't have.

I just weighed that 10th scale pan, it's 44lbs! Add a heaping load of dirt?

I just gotta change the fittings on the 10scale pan to match the 4206, maybe tomorrow I'll see if the 4206 has enough weight within itself to pull that pan loaded,.. it's a wheeled drawbar pull, so there's no drawbar weight added to the 4206.

Joe